Saturday, September 24, 2011

Drink Locally, Eat Locally (Within Reason)


Dinner tonight was Zweigle's Hots washed down with a Genesee Beer, my beer of choice once again, as it was in high school. It doesn;t get much more local than that. Also, I was quite happy that at the delightful Asian Food Market, the Nature Soy Chinese tofu and Han Kuk Mi Korean rice we bought, while not exactly local, was at least made and grown in the U.S.A. However, the Foojoy Dim Sum Bo Nay Tea (Pu-erh tea) was, of course, imported, but still a bargain at four bucks for a hundred bags.

Whenever possible, I try to support my community and country by buying locally, but I also try not to be a jerk about it. There are some specialty items from far off that just can't be produced locally.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Great post.

My name says it all, but I always enjoy sampling the local brews whenever I travel. Of the plethora and myriad, I'll mention one from out of state:

It's been years, but one of my all-time favs was Washington DC's Foggy Bottom Ale on tap. It is a basic ale that is nuttier than Sam Adams. Loved to order it by the pitcher at Kramer Books and Afterwords. I've never seen it in NYC; I don't think they distribute up here:

http://www.foggybottom.com/


Now, the NYC area has some great beers. I'm quite partial to Brooklyn Brewery's products. I also enjoy Six Point's and Kelso's stuff, but they are very hard to find. Out on LI there's the very respectable Blue Point Brewery. Up the Hudson Valley you get the great Captain Lawrence Brewery, and in Cooperstown you have Ommegang Brewery (who make a beer named "Three Philosophers"; need I say more?).

Lots of good beer around NY. Next time you're in NYC, I have to treat you to a keg or four.

And speaking of which: there may be an academic conference or two coming up that I'd like to get you involved with here in the city. Can I email you directly? If so, what email are you now using?

~ pints all around ~

Cheers!

September 26, 2011 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

That "keg or four" sounds mighty good. The nice thing about Genny is that not only I'm I supporting the local community, I'm doing so dirt cheap. Thirty cans for $14.99! I'll drink the specialty beers on special occasions. ("Three Philosophers" caught my eye the other day.)

I have to say, the best beer I remember drinking was Buffalo Lager, from a now-defunct microbrewery from the late '80s and early '90s.

Send any info about conferences to joshuaandrewsnyder@gmail.com. Keep me posted, even though I'm on the administrative rather than academic side of things.

September 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home