Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Greatness of George Orwell

    On very few specific issues do I find myself agreeing with Orwell. On virtually every topic, I find myself on the opposite side. But on the big issues of human life, Orwell is usually spot-on: the centrality of the human person, the inherently corrupt nature of totalitarianism, the need for freedom of thought, the centrality of the quest for truth. Orwell's brilliance -- and his power -- is in seeing that some things are more important than politics. And that politics must be in the service of human values.
So writes Mark in Spokane, commenting on a quote from "Christopher Hitchens' younger and wiser brother" — Peter Hitchens on George Orwell.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark in Spokane said...

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated! Hope that all is going well as you get settled back in upstate NY. I hope that coming home is as wonderful as you had wanted it to be.

September 24, 2011 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Not a day goes by that I don't say, "I love it here."

My family is settling in far better than I could have imagined. We're happier, and closer here.

The food is great. My wife's Korean cooking somehow tastes better here.

The air is fresh. The leaves are changing.

Work is also good. I feel good about bringing money into the U.S. in the form of international students' tuition, and giving them something they can't get back home, and American education (still great). I also try to show them that there is an America beyond Lady Gaga.

September 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger Mark in Spokane said...

Sounds like things are going well! I am glad to hear that you are nesting and enjoying your work. And all food tastes better in America. My sister-in-law makes better Italian food than you can get in Italy, and my mother-in-law makes better Filipina food than you can get in the Philippines.

September 25, 2011 at 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home