Saturday, September 17, 2011

Meteorological Mysticism

"I myself am part of the weather and part of the climate and part of the place … It is certainly part of my life of prayer" — Thomas Merton talking about the weather.

I remember a "praise and worship" meeting from my last years among Protestants, which, to be fair, was quite alien to the Lutheran tradition in which I was raised. Asked to contribute to a group prayer at the end, and not willing to share anything personal with a bunch of strangers, I thanked God for the rains we were experiencing, as they were surely nourishing the crops that were to feed all of us. They couple that followed me shot back with a prayer demanding that the rains cease because they were interfering with their travel plans.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

I wonder if that Merton quote could be read to ring similar to the "butterfly effect" of chaos theory popularized in the Jurassic Park story: whereby a butterfly flapping its wings in Western Africa can cause a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico.

In any case, speaking of the weather and our influence/control of it: what make you of this guy and his HAARP Ring predictions?

Not sure what to make of this guy

September 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Sorry, here's the link to the weather guy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsinse

September 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home