Thursday, September 22, 2011

Patti Smith and Joe Brooks Perform "You Light Up My Life"


I read the news today, oh boy — REM calls it a day after more than 30 yrs. Actually, I heard the news, on NPR at 6:00 AM when my clock radio went off, and when I heard Michael Stipe quoted as saying, "A wise man once said -'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave," I laughed. They should have quit 20 years ago.

I was never a fan, although I did listen to a couple of their early albums. They were about as mainstream as my tastes got as a teenager. Bad Brains and Hüsker Dü were more my speed, literally.

Nevertheless, hearing the news, I went to the Internet to try to find video of the first time I, or just about anyone else, saw the band, on the TV show Kids Are People Too. No luck. Instead, I found the video posted above, which brought back even earlier memories.

When I moved in to what was to become the house I grew up in, the song (not as sung by Miss Smith, of course) was all the rage. The pastor's sons next door introduced it to me, and I remember singing it in Sunday school. I hadn't though about the song for years, until a few months ago with this news — ‘You Light Up My Life’ songwriter Joseph Brooks found dead in apparent suicide.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Speaking of light:

CERN claims to have broken speed of light!

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0922/Neutrino-particle-traveling-faster-than-light-Two-ways-it-could-rewrite-physics

September 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger 유미 said...

I saw Patti Smith perform in Korea two years back. I wasn't impressed at her random speeches but she was lucky that the crowd, who probably didn't understand what she was saying, gave her a big cheer.

September 23, 2011 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Pints, they should be issued a speeding ticket.

Yumi, she should have retired, just as REM should have.

September 24, 2011 at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home