Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Sage of Batavia

"Returning becomes an act of rebellion,” quotes Molly Browne in her review an early book, which I have just ordered (used), by Bill Kauffman, who notes that "just as no one sings louder than the whore in church, no regional patriotism can match that of the returning prodigal" — Dispatches From the Muckdog Gazette: A Mostly Affectionate Account of a Small Town's Fight to Survive.

Batavia, New York, about halfway between where I grew up and where I have settled, is Mr. Kauffman's home, which was also home to "the first 'third party' in the United States," the Anti-Masonic Party.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Speaking of your neck of the woods - have you tried Lakewood's Southern Tier Brewery yet?

I just started sipping their "Pumpking" imperial tonight for the first time. I plan on doing a sampling of various pumpkin ales this week / month / season, and I started with them.

Very interesting flavor. It's like a dessert!

September 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

I've seen it for sale but haven't tried it yet. I will. one your recommendation. Saranac's pumpkin ale was also dessert-like.

September 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Having finished it, I don't think I'd have another. As a few chaps on beer advocate said: tastes a bit like corn syrup.

Gonna try Blue Point's pumpkin ale (a local brew from Long island, NY) in a day or so. Dogfish Head's, also.

I've always enjoyed Brooklyn Brewery's Post Road Pumpkin Ale. I used to like Smuttynose's pumpkin ale way back when, also - got to try that too!

Cheers!

September 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home