Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Sage of Batavia Invites You to His Home

"Next time you’re scudding along the New York State Thruway, Governor Dewey’s soulless reprise of the Erie Canal," Bill Kauffman writes, "stop off at our fair town, grab a beef on weck at the Pokadot, and sit yourself down on the Gardner bench, which marks the literary-culinary epicenter of New York" — The Last Picture Show.

Batavian Beef on Weck? This Buffalonian is skeptical, Mr. Kauffman. Maybe I'll have to drive the 35 miles to find out. Then I'd only have to drive 27 more for the real deal.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

"Maybe I'll have to drive the 35 miles to find out. Then I'd only have to drive 27 more for the real deal."

OUCH!

October 13, 2011 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Iosue,

Drive it. Eat it.

I grew up in Batavia, and ate at the Polkadot weekly. I'm now in exile in Lancaster, PA, which is just like Genesee County, only minus the beef, wings, and white hots.

Btw, I attend an FSSP parish down here. In your move back from Korea, didn't anyone warn you of the diocese of the nefarious Matthew Clark? I would've stuck with Orchard Park, or maybe South Alabama (I know, you're from Monroe County, look it up.)

October 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

I was warned, but not until after it was too late!

I will make the drive to the Polkadot, on your recommendation, and Mr. Kauffman's.

October 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home