Friday, November 25, 2011

Dietrich Bonhoeffer on Black Friday


I did end up making a purchase today — Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. Informing my decision to buy this book were the facts that Barnes & Noble, Inc. was selling the book at half-price, that Archbishop Charles Joseph Chaput, O.F.M. Cap.'s exhortation to read the book was quoted on the cover, and that I find myself a bit bored by The Rogue Republic: How Would-Be Patriots Waged the Shortest Revolution in American History, which deals with quirky but rather roguish characters, unlike the fascinating and unquestionably heroic Dietrich Bonhoeffer. One only has time to read so much.

From the old blog, the author of the biography was quited as saying his subject "was extremely pro-Catholic and much of his own theology was specifically formed by Catholicism" — Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Catholicism. More:
    The theologian's 1923 trip to Rome “was extremely important,” the author noted. “He eagerly attended Mass every day … and he bought a missal and was deeply taken with what he saw and experienced.”

    “It was nothing less than life-changing for him. At St. Peter's that Palm Sunday he saw celebrants on the altar from every race and color and for the first time in his life he thought about the church universal, beyond the parochial borders of German Lutheranism.”

    “This caused him to ask the larger question: 'What is the church?'” Metaxas explained. “He would spend the rest of his life answering that question. It was the subject of both his doctoral dissertations and it was what ultimately caused him to stand up against the Nazis who were trying to define the church on their own terms.”

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

One of my students (Pentacostal?) is a big fan of Metaxas and goes to the Socrates in the City program he runs.

A friend (Evangelical) has also followed Metaxas and she speaks highly of him.

I (Catholic) have skimmed the book and it looks good. I've been impressed with the Confessing Church since I first learnt of it in college. The only movie I've ever seen in a theater by myself was to watch the Bonhoffer film that came out in the early 2000s.

Shame serious Christians like Metaxas don't get the same press as Snooki and the Jersey Shore crowd.

If we taught kids about Bonhoffer instead of allowing the wretchedness of Lady Gaga continue to poison our youth, I think kids would be impressed with righteousness and we'd all be better off.

(And let's not forget about St. Kolbe, too!)

November 25, 2011 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger Steve Hayes said...

I think I'll add it to my "to read" list, but would be interested in knowing what you say when you've finished reading it.

It's a funny thing, but my blogroll, which is supposed to show me your latest posts, never showed me this one, yet it always shows me the musical ones, which interest me not at all -- I never listen to music or watch videos on line.

November 26, 2011 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Pints, I vaguely recall taking issue with Metaxas over something, but cannot for the life of me remember what it was. The book is so far, so good. I think Bonhoeffer along with St. Max Kolbe and Edith Stein form a powerful ecumenical synaxis.

Steve, so far, so good. Protestant, but of the best sort. Sorry the music is not of interest, but this web log is simply a log of what I find on the web that I like and want to save. I'm glad you stick around for the other stuff.

November 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger Steve Hayes said...

Don't get me wrong -- it's your blog and you can post what you like on it. It's just that Blogger's blogroll thingy seems to be biased in favour of showing posts with sound files and video attached, and I have a plug in that blocks those, to save bandwidth. Nothing personal, but listening to a CD at home is a lot cheaper than downloading it off the Internet.

November 26, 2011 at 10:47 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

No problem. My response does look a bit snippy, but wasn't meant to be so. I've avoided blogrolls and such for the same problems you describe.

Since I don't have a TV, and CD's and DVD's are expensive, YouTube is my sole source of audiovisual entertainment. If there's an Internet application I'm most thankful for, it's YouTube.

November 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

But back to Bonhoeffer, I find the book one of those that's hard to put down, really the only type worth reading. Knowing where you stand religiously and politically, I think you'd find the book edifying.

November 26, 2011 at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home