Thursday, November 10, 2011

Muslim Students at Catholic University of America Protest...

... in "opposition to the recent lawsuit against the University proposed by George Washington University professor John F. Banzhaf, who claims that the University is discriminating against Muslim students by not offering them a separate place to pray on campus" — Muslim Students Criticize Banzhaf’s Legal Action.

"Neither me nor any Muslim student I know has ever filed a complaint against CUA for any reason," said one Saudi student. "I haven’t seen any actions taken by the university or any of its students that would justify doing so.... I chose to attend CUA because it is a religious school. I didn’t really care what religion it belonged to. As long as God is present in their everyday life, then it is fine with me."

"I have found that my closest American friends are the more religious Catholics; those who pray before they eat, or who are shocked to see a person cheat," said an Omani student. "They are the ones that allow me to listen to them pray the Rosary or attend Renew with them. These friends not only shared their religious beliefs with me, but they also allowed me to do the same, which then created a sense of respect for one another’s religion."

"I regret very much that our Muslim students have been used as pawns in a manufactured controversy," said the university president. "I want to reassure all of you that our Muslim students are welcome at our University. Our Catholic teaching instructs us to embrace our fellow human beings of all faith traditions. They enrich us with their presence and help to promote inter-religious and inter-cultural understanding."

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

I've said it here before.

Saudi diplomats have attended CUA. They were happy to be there.

November 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home