Sunday, November 13, 2011

"Visually astounding. A working model for post-apocalyptic capitalism."


So says a reviewer of my absolute favorite childhood haunt, to which I took my wife and kids today — Super Flea & Farmers Mkt. I can't beat the reviewer's description:
    Small spaces in a gigantic former warehouse are rented to vendors selling a remarkably useless variety of stuff, most of it well past the point of being utter junk. Vendors mark off their bleak grey spaces using chain-link fencing, old doors, novelty blankets and emergency blue plastic tarp, hoarding broken happy meal toys, hubcaps, chipped glassware, live rabbits in overcrowded cages, dust covered dream catchers, juice drink-stained used NES games, thoroughly wanked-over Playboys and photographs of celebrities long forgotten. A must see if you're into simulated trauma.
I admit it was hard not to steal away from the wife and kids and sneak a peak at the "thoroughly wanked-over Playboys," as a fan of all things vintage, of course. One thing new was the many "glass 'tobacco' stalls" mentioned by another reviewer; I don't remember them, and, yes, I would have been looking after age 13. We drove more than an hour each way to come back with two 25¢ bouncy balls, two packs of Pokémon cards, and two airbrushed wood cutouts of my kids' names.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Speaking of NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) - I was reading that they just released a new Zelda for the Nintendo Wii

Can you believe that the original "Legend of Zelda" came out 25 years ago?

That's, like, um, a quarter of a century!

Here's a fun orchestra version of the Zelda theme song (not sure if really by John William though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-qmF1_SnDk

November 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM  
Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Schucks, while we're at it:

Here's a fun orchestrated version of the Mario Bros. theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yrjepmeYZk&feature=related


And he's a gypsy jazz / Django Reinhardt version of the Mario Bros. 2 theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ti5f-LHp4

November 13, 2011 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I think I'd love that place, too.

And you're right about the reviewer's description. "Simulated trauma" is my phrase of the week!

November 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger The young fogey said...

I love these places: there are three near here I go to. Bargains on some staple items, and fleatiquing (got my 1940 Zenith radio at one).

November 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home