Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Máxima Culpa

"I am old enough to remember the threefold striking of the breast in pre-Conciliar days, but wonder if this practice has been maintained elsewhere in the Church by the other language groups that use the Roman Missal," asks a reader noting that "the new translation of Mass according to the English-language Roman Missal... indicates that those reciting the prayer are to strike their breast at the point where they say, 'through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault' — Breast-Beating During the Confiteor.

Father McNamara interestingly explains "slight but noticeable change in translating this rubric" and mentions "the practice in Spanish- and Italian-language countries, which have always maintained the triple form in the 'I Confess.'" This was also the case in Korea, where I converted nine years ago. "내탓이오, 내탓이오, 내 큰 탓이로소이다."

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger 박태민 마태오 said...

Did they change the Roman missal in Korea or is there a difference in the words by diocese? Every mass I've attended they say, "제 탓이요, 제 탓이요, 저의 큰 탓이옵니다". Not a huge difference but perhaps a liturgical irregularity?

Glad to see they are re-introducing the three fold "mea culpa" and striking of the breast to the English liturgy. I'm going to my first English mass with the new missal at 명동대성당 this Sunday. I can't wait! Merry Christmas!

December 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

That's the phrase I was used to, but couldn't find on the Internet and can't type in Korean on my home computer.

December 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger 박태민 마태오 said...

If you need a Korean keyboard or 한글 program I could mail it to you. Just say the word.

December 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home