Sunday, March 11, 2012

Gillian Welch's "Orphan Girl" Performed by Crooked Still


The great Gillian Welch, herself an adopted daughter, who Wikipedia tells us "attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston, where she majored in songwriting," penned these incredibly moving lyrics:
    I am a orphan on God's highway
    but I'll share my troubles
    if you go my way
    I have no mother, no father, no sister, no brother
    I am an orphan girl

    I have had friendships pure and golden
    but the ties of kinship
    I have not known them
    I know no mother, no father, no sister, no brother
    I am an orphan girl

    But when He calls me I will be able
    to meet my family at God's table
    I'll meet my mother, my father, my sister, my brother
    no more an orphan girl

    So Blessed Savior make me willing
    and walk beside me until I'm with them
    be my mother, be my father, be my sister, be my brother
    no more an orphan girl

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Procopius said...

Her fellow Berklee student Annie Clark is also impressive. Though she majored in guitar.
Cruel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTaVFQ4XJTg
Surgeon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGIbR5jdA58

March 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Many thanks!

March 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger Procopius said...

Her style reminds me a lot of King Crimson guitarist and Robert Fripp sidekick Adrian Belew, masterful technique combined with inventive technical distortion (those are NOT keyboards you hear, that's guitar, damn good guitar) but more melodic, and a better songwriter than Belew

March 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home