Saturday, August 11, 2012

Angela Hewitt Performs J.S. Bach's "French Suite № 4 in E Flat Major"


One last Canadian performance to leave you with before we take off (you hoser) to the Great White North for a week of camping and exploring. At this time tomorrow night we'll be asleep (in a tent) under the stars in the Bruce Peninsula, a place I've wanted to visit since seeing Quest for Fire (1981) as a kid. By midweek, we'll have left the wilds briefly and visited the Canadian Museum of Civilization in the country's capital, after which we are to cross the border into the Francophone, God willing, to return.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark in Spokane said...

Enjoy Canada! I'm more of a fan of British Columbia myself when it comes to vacationing up north, but the whole country is simply wonderful. I love it when we get enough vacation time to go exploring there.

August 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Thanks, Mark! We did. I agree with your thoughts on our Neighbour to the North.

Growing up near the border, Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, and Toronto were frequent destinations for family day trips. In college, I lived close enough to bike or even walk across the Peace Bridge.

This was the first time I had a chance to explore the remoter (for an American) places. I had the thought that America was a giant parking lot when I was up there, and I love Upstate New York's (and the rest of America's) natural wonders.

I was especially impressed by Quebec. I had been Montreal and Quebec City before, but this was the first time I could explore the countryside, where every little town is dominated by a beautiful Catholic church that gives the town a center and a name.

I only wish more of my college French had stuck. Every time I opened my mouth, Korean or Spanish wanted to come out.

August 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home