Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Unbearable "Weirdness" of Mormonism and Mr. Romney

"I actually like Mitt Romney, but I have no idea if he'll make a good President," says Steve Sailer beginning his thoughts on "the notion that he's a prime product of the general healthiness of Mormon culture" — Romney and the Mormons.

"Mormons try to set up their lives to have a lot of good influences from other Mormons around them," Mr. Sailer continues. "By way of analogy, think of the late Neil Armstrong. He was a prime product of the general healthiness of mid-20th Century American culture (which Mormons continue continue to espouse, which is why they are considered so weird and creepy today)."

Bingo! I, too, have come to like Mr. Romney the more I learn about him. I started liking him with his much-ridiculed "trees are the right height" in Michigan comments about which I blogged back in March — Another Nowhere Man.

That said, I will not vote for the man. Policy, not likability, is what I'm looking for. He may well be the slightly lesser of two evils, but my vote won't count in Blue New York even if I were willing to vote for the slightly lesser of two evils, which I am not. I plan to make my vote count by giving a more-or-less deserving third-party candidate some needed support. If none can be found, I'll either stay home or write in Grover Cleveland.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

I keep seeing this talk about not voting, but I think it is dangerous and needs a major qualifier.

I can understand people being disillusioned with the whole presidential thing, and in Blue NY I feel your pain.

However, there are state and local elections, and there we can have some influence. In fact, I've seen a few elections recently, especially in my neck of the woods, where literally only a handful of votes have in fact made differences.

Another thing to consider is, if you show up to vote for local elections, and ignore the presidential one, you can send a bit of a message by skewing "their" numbers. If 100 people voted, and the "winner" in a two-man race only garnered 15 votes total, that means a vast majority of voters do not approve of the candidate. Says something about "mandates" and "legitimacy."

I'm not convinced on the whole "stay home" argument. And I'd like to see more debate about it.

August 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home