Friday, September 21, 2012

Sociopathy and Hedonism

"I am what psychiatrists call a sociopath; I can assure you for better or worst (sic) that I am not burdened by morality, ethics, or remorse, and I certainly do not possess a conscience that needs to be cleansed," said a local convicted killer — Ed Laraby: No conscience, no remorse.

"For most of my life I have been a hedonist and a opportunist," he continued. "I subscribe to the theory that no one gets something for nothing."

It seems wise to be skeptical of the idea of the sociopath. Do these people genuinely have no "still small voice" within, or have they (and perhaps their society) squashed it?

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

It is scary to confront evil of any degree.

Some people lose out to Screwtape, I guess.

Sadly, modern psychology doesn't take demonic possession seriously at all. Many in the Church frowns upon it as a diagnosis in most cases.

Exorcists convincingly know better.

(Have you ever spoken with one?)

St. Michael, protect us!

September 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

I'm convinced demonic possession is far more common that we care to admit.

September 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Mark in Spokane said...

There are lots of sociopaths out there. I used to be a public defender and ran across many, many sociopaths. Most of them never cause any trouble -- they just go through life being a@#holes. But for the ones who do, for whatever reason, decide to hurt other people, they are extremely dangerous.

September 22, 2012 at 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home