Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Le Petit Poutine


Pictured above, a local truck that serves "the Canadian staple of hand-cut fries, savory gravy, and cheese curds, plus a scattering of thyme," which won the Best of Rochester 2012 Food Truck award, in a story about the growing industry — Wheels that deep fry, keep on turning.

I have not eaten from this truck but would love to. Poutine is new to me, only introduced to me a few weeks ago by my boss at the Tap and Mallet, another Best of Rochester 2012 winner. I foolishly did not even try the delicacy in neighboring Quebec on our family vacation there this summer, unfortunately, having listened to English Canadians foolishly disparage the dish. Now we have yet another reason to go back!

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

I had a Quebecois friend in grad school (now becoming a monk) who used to talk about this. I have another friend from the same school who is from up by you and knew what he was talking about.

This is a good post. I've never had this stuff myself, but being a descendent of a Quebecois gentleman I suspect I should.

Is this - I wonder - the Quebecois version of the infamous "garbage plate"?

Cheers!

November 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM  
Blogger 장흥 저널 Jangheung Journal said...

Francophone-Anglophone relations aren't always amicable, but what kind of treasonous Anglo-Canadian would disparage poutine?! Andrew Zimmern did an entire show on Montréal's food on his show "Bizarre Food".

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtCkD0NbYk

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBkh5_4lWs&feature=relmfu

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckLi-IcYfKg&feature=relmfu

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJYJZVqiQQE&feature=relmfu


Be sure to eat some the next time you're up there. Can't get any of that stuff here in Korea! 먹어 싶어요! Thanks for the post. Peace

November 15, 2012 at 5:54 AM  
Blogger The Daily Depredations said...

You should definetly try poutine, it's excellent! I say this as a English Canadian from New Brunswick.

November 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home