Saturday, December 29, 2012

Localism Trumps Libertarianism


On a trip with the wife and kids an hour further westerly in Western New York to the place where I grew up, our two destinations reminded me why my libertarianism stops at the town or county line.

Our first stop was Vidler's 5 & 10, in the town next to mine. For as long as I can remember, East Aurora, New York's six thousand souls have famously resisted big boxes, specifically Wally World, allowing a store to exist that's a destination in itself. If you're not happy with that, you can drive or move the town next door.

Next, we were off to Chestnut Ridge and its famed above-pictured toboggan chutes, the "only ones left in the country, free ones at least," as the attendant told me. Without the support of the good people of Erie County, New York, such fun would not be possible.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home