Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings Performs "Annabelle"


Moralistic therapeutic deism this is not:
    Lease twenty acres and one Ginny mule
    From the Alabama Trust
    Half of the cotton, third of the corn
    Get a handful of dust

    We cannot have all things to please us
    No matter how we try
    'Til we've all gone to Jesus
    We can only wonder why

    I had a daughter called her Annabelle
    She's the apple of my eye
    Tried to give her something like I never had
    Didn't want to ever hear her cry

    We cannot have all things to please us
    No matter how we try
    'Til we've all gone to Jesus
    We can only wonder why

    When I'm dead and buried, I'll take a hard life of tears
    Everyday I've ever known
    Anna's in the churchyard, she's got no life at all
    She's only got these words on a stone

    We cannot have all things to please us
    No matter how we try
    Until we've all gone to Jesus
    We can only wonder why

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home