Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Baroque and Bluegrass

The New Beginning links to an article and a video on two of this blogger's favorite musical genres — Jordi Savall y el barroco del Nuevo Mundo and Can Bluegrass Save Your Mortal Soul?

El video "[s]e trata de una música única, fruto de la mezcla de ritmos y melodías de africa, la españa renacentista y barroca y temas originales del continente americano."

The article argues that "a bit of bluegrass gospel is just what the doctor ordered, an earthy and melodic salve to cure an eschatological blindness." I'm a bit ambivalent towards bluegrass gospel, given its heretical protestant theology. (That said, much of it can be confirmed.) I prefer the songs about drinking and adultery.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Does the soundtrack to "O Brother" fit into this? I recommend reading C.S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce" and listening to "I'll Fly Away" in-between each chapter.

May 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

The album that revived it all, for me at least. Probably the most important album I ever bought.

Great advice for a book I have not yet read. I vow to take you up on it this summer!

May 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home