Wednesday, May 1, 2013

From Pittsford to Pittsburgh

We went to visit another town named after William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, leaving shortly after dawn, crossing the Genesee River soon after, and reaching the point where the Allegheny River and Monongahela River converge to form the mighty Ohio River before noon. (Reluctant thanks given to Dwight D. Eisenhower's National Defense Highway System.)

I lived in Pittsburgh around ages four and five, so I had to take the missus and the kids to the Duquesne Incline, of which I have fond childhood memories, and also to the house I lived in, to show them the hill down which daddy got a bad brush burn on his big wheel (it was a time and place in which little kids could ride around on the streets by themselves) and the neighbor's bush which I burned down with a sparkler on the Fourth of July.

We also visited some newer sites, such as the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh and the Carnegie Science Center, two of the best places for kids I've yet been anywhere in the world, as well as the excellent National Aviary. The missus and I enjoyed the various neighborhoods, most of all the Mount Washington Mexican War Streets neighborhoods. It was also a pleasure to hear the distinct accent of this ancient city.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home