Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Newest Toy


The Yamaha Mini 6-String Nylon Guitalele, pictured above, is about the funnest thing I've ever bought for myself. It is "half guitar, half ukulele, and 100% fun," as the blurb rightly reads, and quite reasonably priced. I was in the market for a better guitar anyway, as the $23 knock-off I got at Tuesday Morning a year ago hasn't been the same since my dad knocked it over and I had to glue it back together. I had in the meantime been having too much fun with my son's Hohner 3/4 Classical Guitar, and my Gretsch G9460 Dixie 6-String Banjo requires a whole different style of playing.

Guitaleles do, too. The chord-fingerings are the same as for guitar, but have different values. What looks like a G is really a C, etc. At first, I couldn't figure out why none of the songs I knew didn't sound quite right. It was a neat little lesson in music theory for a former punk rocker to learn.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home