Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Yellow Red Sparks Concert Mini-Review


Last night, the missus and I saw Yellow Red Sparks at the Boulder Coffee Co.. We had been alerted to their appearance by City Newspaper, which compared them to The Lumineers, whom I have been listening a whole lot of on my commute. Through the magic of YouTube.com we were introduced to their great music, and decided to venture into Rochester's South Wedge.

It was well worth the ten-minute drive and six bucks we spent on a Genesee Cream Ale and two coffees. The Wholesale Kids opened. Really just a guy named Jake, they, or rather he, was surprisingly good. Y.R.S. played all the songs I had posted in this blog, and more of course. Singer Josh Hanson's voice today reminded a bit of a male Thao Nguyen. His song-writing skills are top-notch, poppy enough even to attract teenage girls, at least smart ones.

Gracious people, the embers of Y.R.S. They repeatedly thanked Jake for opening, and the dozen or so of us who showed up on a cold May Monday. They complemented our city. They hugged each other after the show, which seemed pretty cool. They also introduced themselves to us as we bought their CD, and we had a nive conversation as they signed our CD, finding out that I shared a given name with the front-man and my wife an Asian heritage with the upright bass-player, who said, "People always think I'm Korean." (She is about the most stereo-typically Korean-looking women I have ever seen, and my Korean wife agreed, but is apparently of Japanese descent, if her surname is any clue.)

I think these guys have what it takes to make it big in the Indie Folk scene. I wish them the best, and will be happy to pay for tickets the next time they come here.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I would have sworn she was Korean, too!

Great review, by the way. I followed the links and it really sounds as if you had a wonderful night! =)

May 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Dauvit Balfour said...

And now it's time to commence some listening. The Lumineers, The Civil Wars, Lisa Hannigan, and Meschiya Lake have become some of my favorites since discovering them through your blog.

I may have posted one or some of these in the past, but wonder if you've ever encountered Emily Anne Reed (Meschiya Lake reminded me a bit of her) or Great Big Sea (traditional and pop rock Newfoundlanders, whom my brother and I saw in their home town of St. John's a few weeks ago). Anyway, a sample of each:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCpqhRvbNI&list=PLDE125DFCCC21C0F0&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6TukZyXcAY

May 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home