Saturday, July 6, 2013

God Bless You, Charlie Poole


Went to Record Archive the other day, looking for some vinyl for my new Crosley CR66 Rochester 5 in 1 Entertainment Center with auxiliary input, AM/FM Radio, tape, CD Player. Got a fine album called "Smoky Mountain Ballads" for three bucks, but more importantly stumbled upon the 4 CD, 96 cut "Charlie Poole - With The North Carolina Ramblers and The Highlanders," with songs recorded between 1925 and 1930, packaged in Old Blighty by some good folks with interest in Albion's Seedlings.

The great Charlie Poole, as you may know, "in great part created the musical templates for two giants: the bluegrass of Bill Monroe and, by extension, the lyrical aspects of the modern country music of Hank Williams." As great as both Bill and Hank were, give me Charlie any day. The one song of his I have learned to play (not on my Gretsch G9460 Dixie 6-String Banjo but on my Yamaha Mini 6-String Nylon Guitalele), "If The River Was Whiskey," gives a hint as to how he died in 1931 at the same age I am now.

The collection is perfectly suited for play on my Crosley Rochester Entertainment Center.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home