Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

Hope yours was as good as ours. We started with two of my favorite places as a kid.

We spent two nights camping at Allegany State Park, the state's largest. Nothing like camping to bring a family together. Most of my memories of this place are of winter in a cabin, not summer in a tent, but I think we'll add some of the former once the snows start falling. Cattaraugus County, New York, the northernmost limit of Appalachia, was always for me the "Enchanted Mountains" her brochures claim her to be.

This was followed by a day at Martin's Fantasy Island, mostly for my daughter, who loves amusement parks. I went there first at about age six, before it was Martin's. Wikipedia tells us that the place went bankrupt a couple of times until it was bougfht by a local guy named Martin. I also had no idea that their roller coaster was modeled after The Comet, the legendary roller coaster found across the lake at Crystal Beach, Ontario, until that amusement park closed in 1989.

Finally, we spent Labor Day watching the Rochester Red Wings land playoff spot! I don't think I've ever seen a better game live. Of the six games we saw this season, all were wins. On to the International League Governors' Cup.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home