Saturday, September 21, 2013

My IAT Results

At the heroic John Derbyshire's behest, I have taken the Implicit Association Test, which "measures attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report," and which "may be especially interesting if it shows that you have an implicit attitude that you did not know about."

My results for the "Asian IAT" were as follows: "Your data suggest little or no association between Asian American and European American with American and Foreign." The test implies that I do not see the "Asian American" as "Foreign." This makes sense, since I spent a decade-and-a-half in the Far East and, like The Derb, almost as long waking up to a (rather pretty) Asian face every morning, not to mention two half-Asian kids. I was surprised, however, that I appear to have "little or no" bias against Asians, since living among them has not always been a positive experience. I guess it is that this test measures fundamentally whether I see them as "other," which I do not simply because cannot.

My results for the "Race IAT" were as follows: "Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American." Again, no surprises. Sure, I have a black uncle by marriage, two mulatto cousins, and four quadroon second-cousins now, all wonderful people, but I see them all as (somewhat distant) family, not representatives of the "African American." Lately, I have been educating myself on suppressed atrocities like the Wichita Massacre and having to plan trips to local places like Seabreeze Amusement Park on dates that local "youths" might be less likely to engage in Polar Bear Hunting in honor of Saint Trayvon Martin Martyr. Such reflections do not make one feel warm and fuzzy.

I've been racially taunted in near-violent encounters with both Asians and Blacks. I sport a facial scar from a violent racial encounter with Asians. (In the end, after blows were exchanged, four of them ran away from two of us.) Proximity allows me to feel closer to the one group rather than the other. Rationally, though, if I had to make a policy decision between African Americans and Asian immigrants, I'd side with my fellow citizens first. It's only fair.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home