Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Family Day-Trip to Buffalo


For today's or today's Feast of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we drove the sixty miles west to my hometown, and to the incredible Our Lady of Victory National Shrine and Basilica. Although I grew uponmly a few miiles away from it, I was raised prot, and never visited one of the most glorious church buildings I have ever seen until today! Venerable Nelson Baker, ora pro nobis! The haunting Coventry Carol was the offertory hymn.

After mass, we went down the street to Buffalo Botanical Gardens, voted "the best place for a family outing" in the Best of WNY Awards. I went on many family outings myself as a kid, although it seemed a lot bigger then than it did today.

We then drove south to Orchard Park, to show the kids again the house I grew up in and some neighborhood friends' houses, and then east, past the Quaker Meeting House, to the Village of East Aurora, NY and the Millard Fillmore House, home to a man Queen Victoria hailed as the handsomest man she'd ever seen, and then down the picturesque U.S. Route 20A most of the way home.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home