Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dead Presidents

What do Nelson Mandela and Augusto Pinochet have in common, aside from both having served as political prisoners? Both presidents have been seen live by mine own eyes*, the former before office the latter after. It is too early to tell who will have the more positive legacy.

Steve Sailer's obituary is the only non-platitudinal one I've come across — Nelson Mandela, RIP.

* The other dead president I've seen while still alive was Roh Moo-hyun, probably my favorite of the three, and the only one I am sure looked at me. (I was the only non-Korean in the crowd.) Not-yet-dead presidents I've seen were Carlos Salinas de Gortari (during), Bill Clinton (before), and Eduardo Frei Ruiz-Tagle (on election night). And I've seen Mao Zedong's waxed corpse.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Hayes said...

Non-platitudional? No.

Obituary? No.

Rather it's a platitudional non-obituary.

December 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home