Saturday, January 11, 2014

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)


Took the misses to Pittsford Cinema 9 to see Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) on its opening night here earlier this evening and thoroughly enjoyed this story of a folksinger a few moments ahead of his time in last moments of the pre-Bob Dylan era. One of the darker Coen brothers films, but with plenty of guffaws and some great music. Noteworthy was the structural perfection as the film came to an end. Especially entertaining was the love/hate interest played by Carey Mulligan and the cast of misfits one expects from the Coen brothers.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Dauvit Balfour said...

I had a strange reaction to this movie. I loved it, but also couldn't imagine myself recommending it to the majority of people I know, even ones who share somewhat similar taste in film. I think everyone in my family would probably hate it.

But, to me, it's just a story about flawed people getting through the messiness of life and doing a bad job of it. No plot, just character and style and some amazing music. It provides a glimpse at what's beneath the surface of these people, but like the excellent play 1940's Radio Hour it only shows hints; it doesn't concoct a plot with a nice structure and resolution, and it doesn't tell you what it's hinting at (unlike the beautiful but heavy-handed Gravity). I love it for all that. Also for Carey Mulligan. I've been in love with her since her turn on Doctor Who as Sally Sparrow, and even the awful Wall Street sequel couldn't make me quit her.

January 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Well synopsized, if that is a word. I could see how most of my coreligionists would hate the movie, especially its treatment of abortion, but that's the world we live in. It was telling, though, that the main character could not even utter the word "abortion."

This was my first Carey Mulligan movie; she's quite a charmer. There were manospheric insights from her character Jean's relationship with Llewyn. All the hate she spewed at him was really love, engendered by his aloofness and assholeness.

January 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home