Sunday, February 2, 2014

Hipsters Against Hitler


Sophie Scholl and Willi Graf of the White Rose (Weiße Rose) would not look out of place four decades after their executions at an '80s hardcore punk show or even seven decades later at some hipster haunt. They might be seen as uncool, however, for quoting Blessed John Henry Newman or Blessed Clemens August, Graf von Galen, the Lion of Münster, as they were wont to do, even a good Lutheran girl like Sophie.

The proto-punk hairstyles (Willi looks like he's heading to a show by The Clash) make me think of Steve Sailer's investigations into the origins of another subculture, asking, "Did hippies have German roots?" Of course, the beatnik, hippie, punk rocker, and hipster all have common roots, and form a common sub-culture. Mr. Sailer quotes the author an article titled "Hippie Roots & The Perennial Subculture" who suggests "that the actual anomaly was mid-20th-century mass culture:"
    Hippiedom is really just a perennial sub-culture…as old as the first humans that ever walked upright.…That’s why hippies will never go away…because they’ve always been here anyway.
Getting back to the heroic subjects of this post, what was Nazi Germany but "mid-20th-century mass culture" at its most mass?

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Hayes said...

You might be interested in this, then 'White Rose' founder declared a saint - The Local

February 2, 2014 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

That I did not know, and find fascinating. Thank you. A former Lutheran myself, I said a personal prayer to Sophie Scholl whom I'm sure heard it.

February 3, 2014 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger Dauvit Balfour said...

There is a German movie about their capture and execution called Sophie Scholl: Die letzten Tage that I recall being impressed by (I watched it close to ten years ago, when I was much less critical of movies, and could be impressed by anything with a moving story, and this certainly is that). If you don't mind sub-titles, it's worth checking out (though, sadly, I don't think it's available on the magic of Netflix).

February 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Dauvit, thanks for the recommendation. I don't mind sub-titles, but they don't cover the multitude of sins they once did for me. That is to say, I don't like foreign films as much as I used to.

February 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home