Monday, March 17, 2014

The Grey Wharf Perform "Fare Thee Well"


A fine rendition of the folk standard which I learned this past weekend from the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack. Also known as Dink's Song, it "tells the story of a woman deserted by her lover when she needs him the most" and was first recorded "by ethnomusicologist John Lomax in 1908, who recorded it as sung by an African American woman called Dink." The haunting lyrics:
    If I had Wings, like Noah's Dove
    I'd fly up the river, to the one I love
    Fare the well, my honey, fare thee well.

    Well I had a man, who was long and tall
    Moved his body like a cannonball
    Fare the well, my honey, Fare thee well

    I remember one evening, in the pouring rain
    In my heart was an aching pain
    Fare the well, my honey, fare thee well.

    Muddy river is muddy and wild
    Can't give a bloody for my unborn child
    Fare the well, my honey, fare the well.

    Show us a bird, flying high above
    Life ain't worth living without the one you love
    Fare the well, my honey, fare thee well.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home