Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Lunchbox (2013)


"A mistaken delivery in Mumbai's famously efficient lunchbox delivery system connects a young housewife to an older man in the dusk of his life as they build a fantasy world together through notes in the lunchbox," reads the IMDb blurb for The Lunchbox (2013), which the memsahib and I just returned from seeing, the kids having been ensconced off to sleepovers.

I had learned of the film about five minutes before rushing off to see it; nothing else looked remotely watchable. (That the Pittsford Cinema 9 shows such films from time to time says something for our town, I think.) I was expecting one of those foreign movies combining romantic comedy and shots of food being prepared that were popular two decades back, but although there was both humor and delicious-looking food, instead I was treated to a profound, humanistic meditation on loneliness in the modern world, making Like Water for Chocolate (1992) and Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) look even shallower than they actually were. I am thankful that I was able to hear of and see this lovely movie.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home