Tuesday, July 18, 2017

West Coast Craft Brewer Talks to Our Local Beer Reporter

About "the future of craft beer and the never-ending battle against macro-beer" — Big beer is evil: Stone Brewing co-founder Greg Koch explains. An excerpt:
    I had my first beer epiphany in 1987 when I had an Anchor Steam for the first time. I was living in downtown L.A. and it was this little hole-in-the-wall called Al’s Bar. It just so happened that they had Anchor Steam on tap. I had never had any beer like that before. I had two reactions. One, I was elated to see that beer could actually taste like that. My other reaction was that I was angry because I realized at that moment that all of my previous beer-drinking years had been stolen from me by the lies of The Man telling me that other stuff was beer.

    I felt compelled to join the revolution, to fight for people’s access to great beer, my own included. Collectively as an industry, we’ve been successful beyond my wildest dreams. But we are always going to continue to fight for access to the marketplace because the Man wants to have us go the other direction. They want to own it, they want to obfuscate, they want to control, and they want to play by a different set of rules.
I had a similar epiphany around the same time with my first Samuel Adams. These days, however, I'm more likely to reach for a Narragansett Beer, which, however macro, is far behind Mr. Koch's brand (cf. Brewers Association Releases Top 50 Breweries of 2016), is cheaper, and, though originating in exotic Rhode Island, brewed locally here in Rochester.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home